Thomas Snyder, a Partner and Board Member of the firm, co-chairs the firm’s Family/Matrimonial Practice. Thomas devotes his practice exclusively to family law matters including alimony, child support, custody, parenting time, grandparents’ visitation, equitable distribution and domestic violence cases.
Over the course of his career he has been involved in, and litigated, many landmark cases in the state of New Jersey. Some of the notable cases include an international custody case involving the return of a child from Nigeria and the trial level proceedings of a case in New Jersey Family law in which the court said that the income used to form the basis of the valuation of a closely held business can also be used to calculate alimony depending on the circumstances of the case.
Thomas is an active member of the New Jersey State Bar Association. He is a member and past chair of the Family Law Executive Committee for the Family Law Section. He has served on various committees associated with the New Jersey Bar Association and the Family Law Section of the State Bar including serving as a member of the Nominating Committee for the New Jersey State Bar Association for the 2011 Term. He has also served as the legislative chairperson for the Family Law Section and in that position advocated on behalf of the Bar Association with respect to various Bills pending before the New Jersey State Legislators. These bills included the State Bar’s efforts to effectuate the implementation of Irreconcilable Differences as a cause of action for divorce in New Jersey.
He has provided testimony on behalf of the New Jersey State Bar Association to both the Senate and Assembly Judiciary Committees in regard to the New Jersey Marriage Equality Act. He has testified before State Legislators on multiple occasions in connection with the proposed modifications to the New Jersey’s Adoption Statute. He has also testified before the New Jersey Assembly Judiciary Committee in connection with modifications to New Jersey’s Alimony Statute.
As a member of the State Bar, he has also contributed to two of New Jersey State Bar Association’s amicus curiae briefs. The first was for a milestone New Jersey case addressing the issue of same sex couples’ rights to a legally recognized marriage. The other was for a case which addressed whether or not income from a discretionary trust can be counted for the purpose of alimony and child support.
He is the recipient of the New Jersey State Bar Associations Annual Distinguished Legislative Service Award for 2006.
Thomas has litigated the following reported cases: Anyanwu v, Anyanwu and Steneken v. Steneken trial level — unreported. He has currently pending before the New Jersey Supreme Court, a case which has been granted Certification in the matter of D.W. v. R.W. v R.W. v. D.B and M.W. which is a case addressing the issue of legal standing to be utilized in a disputed paternity case involving an adult emancipated child, and a presumed father’s claim for child support reimbursement from an alleged biological father.
Thomas has been interviewed on radio and television regarding emerging New Jersey Family Law Issues, including appearing on NJN’s talk show, “Due Process,” as well as providing debate and commentary on radio and talk shows WNYC and WWRL-1600 AM, New York radio.
Thomas lectures frequently on family law matters on behalf of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Foundation, and the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (NJICLE). He has been recognized by Digital Press International, who named him one of the “Leading Divorce Attorneys, Age 45 and Under of Northern New Jersey” for 2004-2005.
He was previously a Law Clerk for the Honorable Peter B. Cooper in Essex County, NJ. Mr. Snyder has participated in the Central Jersey Family Law Inns of Court. He is a member of the Morris County and Union County Bar Associations. He is a graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy program and a former member and barrister of the Central New Jersey Inns of Court.
To the extent this is considered an advertisement, “No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.” Click here to view recognition methodology.
Honors & Accolades
Thomas has been recognized by the following:
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Woodward/White, Inc.), Family Law, 2020 – 2021
- “Mentor of the Year,” New Jersey Law Journal, 2019
- “New Jersey Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers, 2013- 2020
- “Annual Distinguished Legislative Service Award”, New Jersey State Bar Association, 2007
- Leading divorce attorneys, age 45 and under of Northern New Jersey, Digital Press International, 2004 – 2005
- International child custody case Anyanwu v. Anyanwu, 339 N.J. Super 278 (App.Div. 2001), involving the return of a child from Nigeria.
- Complex financial cases, including the trial level proceedings of the landmark case, Steneken v. Steneken, 183 N.J. 290.
- Contributed to the New Jersey State Bar Association’s amicus curiae brief, submitted in the matter of Lewis v. Harris, 185 N.J. 415, 2006, a landmark New Jersey case, addressing the issue of same sex couples’ right to a legally recognized marriage.
- New Jersey State Bar Association, member and Secretary of the Family Law Executive Committee, and the former Legislative Chair of the Section
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Chair 2010-2011
- Central Jersey Family Law Inns of Court
- Morris County and Union County Bar Associations
- Graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy program
- Lewis v. Harris; Civil Unions Update, N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- 2007 N.J. Family Law Symposium, N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education
- 2006 Tax Aspects of Divorce, N.J. Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- International Custody Disputes, N.J. State Bar Association Mid Year Meeting 2006
- N.J. Case Law Review 40 Top Matrimonial Cases – 2005, N.J. Institute for Continuing Legal Education
Amicus Curiae on behalf of NJSBA Lewis v. Harris 188 N.J. 415(2006)
- 18 Einhorn Barbarito Lawyers Included in 2022 Best Lawyers® Lists
- Twenty-Three Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Named To The 2021 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
- Bonnie C. Frost, Thomas J. Snyder and Matthew J. Troiano To Speak at NJICLE Webcast: 2021 Family Law Symposium
- Einhorn Barbarito Featured In NJBIZ Article, “Einhorn Barbarito Elevates Rheingold; Names 2 As Matrimonial Law Co-Chairs”
- Einhorn Barbarito Frost & Botwinick Partners Thomas J. Snyder and Matheu D. Nunn Named as Co-Chairs of Firm’s Family/Matrimonial Practice
- 10 Einhorn Barbarito Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List
- Thomas Snyder To Speak at New Jersey Paralegal Convention
- 11 Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers In America 2020
- Thomas Snyder Of Einhorn Barbarito: ‘It’s About Including Younger Lawyers In The Process’
- Einhorn Barbarito Lawyers Thomas Snyder and Matthew Troiano Honored by New Jersey Law Journal with Professional Excellence Awards
- Twenty Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Named To 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars List
- Frost, Snyder And Troiano To Present NJICLE Webinar Panel: Privacy In Family Law Cases
- Tom Snyder Appears on CBS New York
- 20 Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Named To 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars Lists
- 19 Attorneys Selected To The New Jersey Super Lawyers And New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists
- Fifteen Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Named To 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars List
- Partner, Thomas J. Snyder quoted in NJBIZ article, “Alimony Reform in New Jersey: Here’s a primer”
- Einhorn Barbarito Partner, Thomas Snyder, seeks termination of client alimony obligation to his former wife.
- Bonnie Frost To Moderate NJICLE Seminar “Evidence for Family Lawyers”
- Thomas Snyder To Participate In Day Long CLE Program For The Practicing Law Institute
- NJ Super Lawyers® Magazine Includes 13 Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys On Their 2014 Lists
- Thomas Snyder To Moderate And Present Seminar For Paralegals And New Attorneys
- Bonnie Frost and Thomas Snyder Receive Awards From The New Jersey State Bar Association
- After More Than 5 Years Of Fighting For His Client, Thomas J. Snyder Prevails
- The Law Firm of Einhorn Barbarito Participating in Annual NJ Paralegal Convention
- Thomas J. Snyder, Esq. to Moderate a Panel Discussion at the Advocacy Town Hall in Trenton
- Thomas J. Snyder to Participate in Continuing Legal Education Seminar: Examining the Child Custody Expert: Dissecting Forensic Evidence and Testimony
- Einhorn Barbarito Attorney Speaks Out on Behalf of Marriage Equality in New Jersey Twice in Two Weeks