Alissa D. Hascup is Counsel in the firm’s Criminal Practice Group. She represents adult and juvenile clients who have been charged with criminal offenses throughout New Jersey, offering zealous advocacy to protect their rights and striving to achieve a positive outcome based upon the facts and circumstances of each case.
Alissa is a former Morris County Assistant Prosecutor and Municipal Prosecutor and has spent the last decade defending clients who have been charged with serious crimes including murder, kidnapping, robbery, burglary, sexual offenses, weapons offenses, drug offenses, crimes involving domestic violence, and DWI, and other serious motor vehicle offenses. She has amassed trial experience in Passaic County, Bergen County and Morris County courtrooms, among many others, and in Superior Courts and Municipal Courts across New Jersey. Alissa makes a point of helping her clients navigate and understand the often-complex criminal justice system.
Alissa began her legal career as an associate, working with two criminal defense firms in Monmouth County and Essex County prior to joining the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office in 2009. She was initially assigned to serve as an Assistant Prosecutor in the Domestic Violence Unit, where she prosecuted domestic violence restraining order violations and related assault and harassment cases. She was quickly promoted to the Trial Unit, where she prosecuted defendants for crimes including attempted murder, robbery, weapons offenses, drug offenses, endangering the welfare of children and aggravated sexual assault. Alissa also worked with the Major Crimes Unit, responding to crime scenes, assisting with witness and suspect interviews, and preparing search warrants.
Armed with her extensive prosecutorial experience, Alissa left the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office and established her private criminal defense practice in New Jersey in 2013. While engaged in private practice, she served as the Montville Township Municipal Prosecutor and the Little Falls Township Public Defender.
Alissa has served as a Mock Trial coach, as well as a moderator and panelist for presentations hosted by the Criminal Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the New Jersey Criminal Law Institute.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to view recognition methodology.
Honors & Accolades
Alissa has been recognized by the following:
- Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers®
- New Jersey Super Lawyers: 2023
- New Jersey Rising Stars: 2010; 2016-2019
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Criminal Law Section, Past Chair / Current Trustee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Domestic Violence Working Group, Past Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of NJ, Member
- National Association of Women Lawyers
Public Appearances & Presentations
- Moderator, Stopping Gun Violence: The Political, Constitutional and Legal Implications, ICLE, 2016
- Speaker, Criminal Bench Bar Conference, NJSBA – Criminal Law Section, 2014
- Speaker, Domestic Violence & The Law, ICLE, 2014
- Speaker, Criminal Bench Bar Conference, NJSBA – Criminal Law Section, 2013
- Speaker, Criminal Law Institute, ICLE, 2013