James M. DeStefano is Counsel at Einhorn, Barbarito, Frost & Botwinick and serves clients in the firm’s matrimonial and family law department. James joined the firm in September 2011 after serving as law clerk to the Honorable Robert J. Gilson (Sussex County Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family Part). Not only is James well versed in the tenants of matrimonial law, but he is also committed to staying abreast of the ever-evolving changes and developments in the law. He utilizes this perspective and up-to-the-minute insight into family law best practices to his clients’ advantage.
James places great emphasis on the interpersonal relationships he cultivates with his clients. For every case, he takes the necessary time to learn and understand the nuances, synthesize the facts with the law and develop a sound legal strategy. He holds himself accountable for knowing as much as possible about his clients’ personal stories so that he can best represent their interests in the negotiation and litigation process. Family law issues can be extremely challenging for clients, and James prides himself on being fully accessible and available to engage in discussion with his clients whenever needed. His commitment to doing so earns him their trust and confidence and helps them achieve their goals as efficiently as possible. With a direct yet empathetic manner, James manages his clients’ expectations while zealously advocating on their behalf.
To the extent this is considered an advertisement, “No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.” Click here to view recognition methodology.
Honors & Accolades
James has been recognized by the following:
- “New Jersey Rising Star,” Super Lawyers, 2013, 2018-2019
- Morris County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Volunteer, Panelist for Morris County Early Settlement Panel
- Volunteer, Legal Services of New Jersey (Domestic Violence)
- Panelist – Evidence for Family Lawyers with Judge David H. Ironson (2017, NJICLE)
- Who Gets The Tickets In The Divorce?
- How To Avoid The Hazardous Effects Of Social Media On Divorce
- Who Gets The World Series Tickets In The Divorce?
- What Are The Child Support Guidelines? Are They Meant To Cover All Expenses Related To Children?
- I Got A Careless Driving Ticket For Passing On The Wrong Side; What Do I Do?
- What Is The Difference Between A Divorce And An Annulment?
- Can a 50/50 Custody Arrangement Really Work?
- How Long Does An Uncontested Divorce Take?
- Prenups May Not Be Romantic But They Are Necessary (Just Ask Kobe Bryant What He Thinks….)
- Twenty Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Named To 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars List
- 20 Einhorn Barbarito Attorneys Named To 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars Lists
- Einhorn Barbarito Counsel, James DeStefano Quoted in Romper Article on the 12 Most Important Questions that Never Get Asked in a Relationship
- Einhorn Barbarito Elevates Two to Counsel