Connecting Cosmetic Surgery & Mental Health with Dr. Mitchell ChasinAugust 24, 2023 | by Patricia M. Barbarito
Divorce, the death of loved one, milestone birthdays, cancer treatment and other major life changes can sometimes result in a drastically altered self-image – which can then undermine even the most positive person’s confidence and hopeful outlook. If that’s the case, wonders host Pat Barbarito, could simply improving one’s physical appearance with a visit to the medspa result in a genuinely happier individual? Or is that person really just avoiding their inner turmoil? For featured guest and renowned plastic surgeon Dr. Mitchell Chasin, the answer is neither simple or one-size-fits-all.
Listen as the duo explores the relationship of beauty and confidence, discusses the intricacies of the mind-body-sprit connection through the lens of body augmentation, outlines the role that cosmetic medicine (including plastic surgery) can play in revitalizing one’s sense of hope, and debunks the myth that cosmetic procedures will remove all self-esteem issues or lack of confidence.
Additional highlights include:
- Why finding a board-certified plastic surgeon who values reputation and trust above dollars in the door is a must;
- Why doctors may avoid discussing aesthetics during a patient’s initial meeting and how that approach can result in improved recommendations;
- How minor adjustments can improve a patient’s spirits independent of their post-treatment appearance;
- The surgeon’s dilemma of managing expectations and emphasizing improvement over perfection;
- What makes a procedure truly successful; and so much more.
BONUS: Don’t miss the end of the episode where Dr. Chasin flips the script and puts Pat in the hot seat, drawing some neat correlations between his work and her role as a practicing divorce lawyer!
About Heartbreak & Hope
Co-managing partner and divorce lawyer Pat Barbarito thought she knew all about complex relationships and the laws that govern them – until her own marriage of 17 years ended and she determined to get to the heart of love, marriage, and human connection. Her journey spanned the entire scope of relationships – from the science of attraction to the financial impact of separation, to old myths that society still touts as true to new laws that outline how to navigate both uniting and uncoupling.
Heartbreak & Hope with Pat Barbarito offers insights, anecdotes, and guidance from a variety of experts and includes her own perspective on how best to thrive through any stage of relationship building.