Host Pat Barbarito and featured guest, famed journalist and former client Carol Martin cover the magic of marriage, the devastation of divorce, and the life lessons learned from both in the inaugural episode of Heartbreak & Hope.
- How the dream of marriage drives both men and women, but cultural conditioning prevents us from adequate planning the marriage, including its ending through death or divorce;
- The importance of personal responsibility in the beginning, duration, and ending of a relationship;
- How critical the knowledge of what you bring to and will not tolerate within a marriage can be to its longevity;
- Debunking some of the myths of marriage, including the illusion of security and the fear of a prenup;
- What to consider when looking for a divorce lawyer, and how the gender of the lawyer is less important than the lawyer’s capacity for empathy;
- The place of financial analysis and legal opinion within the context of the emotional demise of a relationship; and
- Why and when a good matrimonial lawyer should turn you down.
About Heartbreak & Hope
Co-managing partner and divorce lawyer Pat Barbarito thought she knew all about complex relationships and the laws that govern them – until her own marriage of 17 years ended and she determined to get to the heart of love, marriage, and human connection. Her journey spanned the entire scope of relationships – from the science of attraction to the financial impact of separation, to old myths that society still touts as true to new laws that outline how to navigate both uniting and uncoupling.
Heartbreak & Hope with Pat Barbarito offers insights, anecdotes, and guidance from a variety of experts and includes her own perspective on how best to thrive through any stage of relationship building.